latelorraine

snark (reading) lady

In my free time, I snark things. In my freer time, I read things.

Night Film
Marisha Pessl
The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3)
Philip Pullman
Brewster
Mark Slouka
The Lord of the Rings
J.R.R. Tolkien, J.R.R. Tolkien
Insurgent (Divergent, #2) - Veronica Roth I feel as though all the things I said about Divergent, good and not so good, hold true for Insurgent. The reason this gets a higher rating than Divergent is because of investment. I opened this book deeply interested in the fates of the characters, namely Tris and Four, and in that regard, Veronica Roth did not disappoint. Firstly, sweet Lord, this woman can pace a story. The tension she created was amazing, neatly balanced with moments of humor and reflection. Somethings did become a little repetitive, especially some observations Tris makes about being Divergent or about certain actions she's taken. Then again, this reaction may stem from my wanting to quickly reach the next resolution.In book one, I was unsure of Tris' personality, though I rooted for her as a heroine. It became clear to me in this book, that we've known Tris all along. She is what she appears to be- brave, selfless when it counts and able to recognize her own selfishness, sarcastic, and probably not the kindest person you'll meet, but probably still one of the good ones. I'm a fan of the way that Tris and Four's relationship developed through the book. Again, the author weaved in conflict with just enough good moments. In a series where my biggest issue is with the setting (more on that later), it's impressive that Roth's characters often feel realistic against it; that is, I can follow their developments. I understand Tris' rationale even when I don't agree with her. I understand the friction between Tris and Four, even when I'm yelling at it to stop. And so on. Which leaves me with the world building. There are books that present the world or setting in one shot: here is where we are, now on to the story. In this series, revealing facts about the world we are in has become part of the story, dished out slowly as we read. The problem is, that when you leave the reader in suspense about such an integral part of the story, you have to deliver in a big way. There can be no holes or fluffy logic. Roth's world, the factions, why they were created and what lies beyond the fence, doesn't feel solid. Yet. I'm very curious to see where she's going to lead us, as far as explanations go, and I'm assuming this is all setting up the third book. All I'm saying is that she's built us up this much, I'm expecting a pay off.Fans of the first book will probably find little reason to be disappointed here. I enjoyed reading it.