latelorraine

snark (reading) lady

In my free time, I snark things. In my freer time, I read things.

Night Film
Marisha Pessl
The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3)
Philip Pullman
Brewster
Mark Slouka
The Lord of the Rings
J.R.R. Tolkien, J.R.R. Tolkien
The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness If you want a book about hope, lucky breaks and staying in one place, well, look elsewhere. And I mean that in the best possible way. I enjoyed "The Knife of Never Letting Go" and towards the end, I just couldn't put it down. This book is not without its flaws, which I've read a lot about in the other reviews, but to me the good outweighs the bad. So on that note: The Good- Manchee the dog. Yep, people of the Internet, the dog was one of the best things about this book. In a book where the thoughts of all men and animals become audible, Manchee's thoughts just seemed to me to be imagined best. The relationship between Todd and Manchee is adorable in the way that it changed, on Todd's end at least and grew. One of the most heartbreaking moments of the entire book comes via Manchee. I love that dog. - Todd and Viola. Another relationship that grows up well. We even get a moment where the characters realize that they've gotten to know each other, and it was another highlight of the book. I'm also grateful that the book kept it friendly and not romantic. It would not have made sense to have love blossoming, per se, when these two kids' life were threatened for every second of the book. - I for one liked the narration, for the most part. I'll get to the one thing I didn't like later, but I liked Todd's voice. It took a few pages to get used to it, but once I did, I loved the little nuances that enhanced the first person narration. - The concept. I was constantly intrigued by this idea of Noise, of all the private thoughts of men being privy to a community and the consequences that would have. The way Ness spoke of silence and lies and hope etc. was just lovely at places. The Bad:- There were parts of forced suspense in the book. Todd gets told truths about the history of his town and the death of his mother, but we, as the audience are kept in the dark until the end. Not only does this go against the other real time narration, but to me it was unecessary. I mean, these two kids are essentially being chased clear across their world, do we really need to withold information as ADDED suspense? Trust me when I say they never catch a break. The cheap narration trick took way from the story. - The villains. Even when all was said and done and explained I found myself going, "yeaaaah, okay, BUT WHY." To accept some of why certain things happen in New World, I guess you just have to accept that there are Bad! People! I mean, the motivation doesn't fit the crime otherwise. There is just a bit too much nefarious evil doing for my taste. - The cliffhanger. I mean, it's a good book, but it can be stressful. Nothing goes their way. Nothing. And if you are expecting a sliver of hope at the end, well, look elsewhere. It is a trilogy, and I will read the next book, but I know that there would be people who would be upset by the open ending.Overall though, I find I like Mr. Ness' style and will continue to read his writing and this series. Hopefully, something good will eventually happen.