latelorraine

snark (reading) lady

In my free time, I snark things. In my freer time, I read things.

Night Film
Marisha Pessl
The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3)
Philip Pullman
Brewster
Mark Slouka
The Lord of the Rings
J.R.R. Tolkien, J.R.R. Tolkien
Next - James Hynes I found this book on a "best of" list for the year it was published. I realize I'm probably not its intended audience, but that's never stopped me from reading a book before, so I figured I'd give it a go. That was about two months ago and I've been trying to make my way through this ever since. Before I go on, I'd like to say that James Hynes is obviously a very skilled writer. What he intended to do, he did well, but it just wasn't MY cup of team. I'm sure he'll still sleep soundly at night knowing that 20something girl wasn't completely fond of his 50something protagonist, Kevin. Even then, there were observations Kevin made that I found myself relating to, and things Kevin thought or said that made me giggle.As a whole, though, getting through the middle 45% of this book was work for me. The novel spans one day and a handful of hours, and Kevin fills every single one of those hours with so. many. words. I know that's a strange observation to make about a book, but he just pings back and forth from this thought to that and one memory to the other. There is very limited interaction in the present to propel the story forward with any momentum. Yes, I finished this book, but to say that I read all of it would be a lie. I very honestly skipped entire chunks of wordy descriptions, not because I mind that style of writing, but because in the end, it didn't feel like it was adding anything to the story. Just another layer to trudge through. It was all made harder for me, personally, because I didn't like Kevin. I don't really know if you're supposed to like him, but as a young woman, I found myself more often than not thinking, "OKAY I GET IT. WOMEN ARE PRETTY. YOU LIKE WOMEN. SEX IS NICE. YOU ARE OLD. GODDAMMIT." Given how the story ends, I felt a little bad about think-yelling at Kevin, but only a little. I don't think I've ever closed a book and had the lingering feeling be, "damn that narrator talked too much." It's pretty illogical. And yet, here I am.Maybe in a few months, after I've recovered a little, I'll try something else by Hynes. In the meanwhile, I don't believe I know anyone I'd recommend this book to. I'm off to celebrate the fact that I didn't quit and I actually read it!GO ME.