snark (reading) lady

In my free time, I snark things. In my freer time, I read things.

Night Film
Marisha Pessl
The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3)
Philip Pullman
Mark Slouka
The Lord of the Rings
J.R.R. Tolkien, J.R.R. Tolkien
Fated (Soul Seekers, #1) - Alyson Noel Meh. I’ll follow up that very articulate statement with this: I did not like this book, but it isn’t bad enough to be marked as a one star. I save one stars for the very worst of evils, and this didn’t inspire that much dislike. This book didn’t inspire much of anything, really. I went into the book with no prejudices against Alyson Noel, as I’ve never read the Immortals series. To those of you who cringe at her name, though, I can say: LOL. I GET IT. Because really, it came to a point where if one more character "gazed" at another, I was going to drop kick a kitten. Holy shit she likes the word gaze.In “Fated,” Noel introduces us to Daire Santos. Used to a life with her jet-setting-make-up-artist-single mom, Daire’s 16th birthday brings about a change that means finally settling down with her absentee grandmother- the only person who has the answers to what’s happening to her. And the answer is, Daire is a Soul Seeker. I’d tell you what that is, but after 300+ pages I’m not really sure. They have powers? and stuff? And can travel through the worlds of the dead and the living. Yeeeeeeah. That’s my final answer. This is usually the point in the review where I highlight what was good about the book. The only answer I have for that is: the premise. It was interesting enough to get me to read, so hooray for potential, Noel. You’ve got a mean back of the book blurb. Now that that’s out of the way, here are my big problems with “Fated:”- Noel’s writing style and/or Daire’s narrative: Noel’s style is incredibly clunky. She infuses each bit of the story with so many descriptions it’s incredible the amount of text I was able to jump over. I’m not one to balk at description, Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books of all time, but again Noel’s writing is clunky. She uses three words where one would’ve been enough. Examples:“His wings fluttering, spreading, lifting him high into flight.” “Its clear thermal waters eliciting a fine misty heat that swirls and dances and skims along the surface.”“My need like a fever raging within- relieved only by the feel of his hands cupping my face, his lips meeting mine- merging and melding - tasting and teasing- the kiss so bewitching it causes a spark of images to blaze through my mind.”“Visions of a flower budding, blooming, falling from its stem, only to rise up and bud once again- fading into one of a crowd of dazzling souls that shine brighter than day, butting against souls turned so dark they blend with the night.” It only takes a few pages of this before I wanted to tell the author to STFU. It's bad news when you think your narrator talks too much.- I'm glad you've always known... The characters weren't anything special. The main problem was that there was very little plot, which translated to very little character development. We didn't learn anything about the characters. They didn't change. They didn't grow. Even the love interest never took off. See, he's literally the boy of her dreams. She pretty much fell in love with him before she ever met him.This sucks for the reader because we don't know him or love him yet. We have to take the author's word for their chemistry and deep, deep love, because we never get a whiff of it. These two barely talk. - What plot? Perhaps the above mentioned rambled style of narrative would not have grated quite as much if there were a meatier plot in between it. I usually make little notes if I know I’m going to write a review for a book. My first one for “Fated” was “34% in and we still don’t know shit.” The beginning of this book starts with a series of unlikely events, which is fine. I mean, I went into this book knowing that it was fantasy. The problem is that Daire talks about the unlikeliness of it so much that as a reader, I started to agree with her. Imagine that. The book’s main character swaying me against the book. I’m sure I missed a lot of stuff during my frantic attempt to just finish, but while the author was giving us three words to describe flying or kissing, the big plot points were glazed over. Don’t let the bad guy get into the Lowerworld or else... chaos... and havoc wreaking... and stuff. - Slow, slow, FAST. So many parts of this book are dragged on and on. The author tries to cleverly disguise this ambling pace by Paloma’s, the grandma's, unwillingness to reveal everything at once. There are lots of “I’ll tell you laters” and “she didn’t answer my questions” and “you’ll know when the time is rights” and unfortunately, nothing comes soon enough. There is no payoff. Oh, what maybe in book two or three or seventy-eight? No thank you.During points that could've been great, we are quickly brushed away. A vision quest, which sounds amazing, consists of pages of sitting around doing nothing and then BAM, animals and people and being pecked at and DONE. Just like that. It all makes about as much sense as I've presented. I’m not at all happy that I spent some of my monthly book allowance on this. I am proud of myself for finishing. Here, me. Have a cookie. *eats cookie*