snark (reading) lady

In my free time, I snark things. In my freer time, I read things.

Night Film
Marisha Pessl
The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3)
Philip Pullman
Mark Slouka
The Lord of the Rings
J.R.R. Tolkien, J.R.R. Tolkien
Unraveling - Elizabeth Norris "Unraveling" might pull influences from many places (I've seen comparisons to "Veronica Mars," "Fringe," "The X-Files," and even "Heroes") (because seriously that tagline is very save the cheerleader, save the world...) but the complete package is a solid, entertaining and fast paced YA book. I wouldn't say that any one thing in this book is exceptionally done, but all of it is well done, and manages a balance between action, romance, the end of the world, and regular teenaged stuff that is hard to find in the genre. Firstly, I would warn that this book is sci-fi lite. It's very accessible sci-fi. I wouldn't jump into this book expecting it to fit exactly into that category, or expecting to read about any sort of scientific explanation for anything that's happened at all. You'll get peripheral mentions of physics and theories, but that really is all. Janelle is our heroine in "Unraveling" and I have to say that I rather liked her and again it goes back to balance. She's intelligent and level headed, but she is also a little quick to judge and cries almost as much as I would've been crying if I were in this situation. Which is to say, a lot. She isn't too perfect or too flawed. She is just believable as a teen stuck in this crazy and impossible situation. The romance was also reasonably well done. It didn't over take the plot, but complimented it and propelled it forward. It was to me the most clich├ęd part of the story, however, what with all the I've always loved you/I've watched you from afar/You make me feel like I'm suffering cardiac arrest/I can't live without you stuff. Our boy even had a half-smile, which I think has to be some sort of a requirement for males in YA now. I was very pleased, however, that while both of our romantic leads felt they could never be apart, they made decisions that put love of friends, family and essentially their world above that, and I LOVED that.I had a few nitpicks. One was about the countdown. I loved the idea of it, and it added to the frantic feel of the story, but the author seemed to abuse the structure she created and sometimes broke up chapters or scenes weirdly, where only minutes have passed. If I'm sitting there wondering why you would speed a few minutes and break up the scene, you've effectively brought me out of the story, you know?Also, and to sort of tag along to that, there were times where the author weirdly transitioned from an active conversation, into Janelle relating to the reader how the rest of the conversation went. Also, this really is a nitpick, but the author had a tendency to repeat things and it was a little jarring, to me at least. I believe Janelle let out a breath she didn't know she was holding a few times. I guess that happens in real life (?) but it happens to home girl a lot. Small things like that seemed fluffy and weird. Lastly, it was a whole lot of story, just a ton going on, as if the end of the world weren't quite enough. Thankfully it was a fast read, so the author did that right, but when you look back and consider all that happened, even as the story dragged at places, you realize that it is quite a lot. Naturally, this being sci-fi lite, you are expected to suspend disbelief. I mention this because I found it funny that I accepted the whole metaverse thing quite easily, as it pertained to the story, but after our protagonist steals files from the FBI, and is politely asked to return them, I giggled a little. So, the suspended disbelief isn't only over the sci-fi elements, but also all through the involvement of a 17 year-old in the end of the world. This is just a random observation. In all, quite enjoyable.